Wikipedia Trail: from Hasinai to Lateral Consonants

I decided to start my Wikipedia trails at Hasinai, because I just retold a story about the origins of the skunk's many features from a Hasinai legend. The Hasinai are a Caddo-speaking Native American tribe that originates from what is now eastern Texas. I wanted to know more about the language so I clicked on Caddo Language next. This page states that there were only 25 speakers in 2009, meaning it is critically endangered! The page goes on to discuss revitalization efforts, which includes the Kiwat Hasinay foundation offering classes, creating dictionaries, phrase books, and are digitally archiving Caddoan oral traditions.



The Wikipedia page then goes on to describe the phonology of the language. Apparently, it lacks liquid consonants, which is unusual. I wanted to learn more about what liquid consonants were so I clicked on that next. This page states that liquids are a class of consonants that include lateral approximants and rhotics. I didn't know what a lateral approximate is so I journeyed to that Wikipedia page - Lateral consonant. An example of a lateral consonant is an L in English. It occurs when air travels along the sides of the tongue, which blocks air from doing through the middle of the mouth.

Image information: Oklahoma Indian Languages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer