Wikipedia Trail: from Swazi People to Ngwenyama

I started with an article about the Swazi people, because one of the stories I used for my storybook was based on a Swazi fairy tale. I included the link to this article in my storybook. I was still curious about the topic and where the trail might lead me, so I revisited the page. This page describes Swazi or Swati as a Bantu Ethnic group that is located in South Africa and Eswatini. The page then goes into their history, culture, religion and identity.

I clicked on the link attached to the word Eswatini, because I didn't recognize the place. I go to the page and discover that what is most commonly referred to as Swaziland (in the states at least) is actually the Kingdom of Eswatini. The name of the nation was officially changed from the Kingdom of Swaziland to the Kingdom of Eswatini in 2018 to reflect the name that is commonly used in the Swazi language. The page then goes on to describe the government, the economy, and the major health issues faced by Swazi people.

I clicked on the culture tab and came across a description of their major cultural event, Incwala. This page describes it as a main ritual of kingship, which takes place during the summer solstice. Since. the Incwala is a ritual of kingship, it can only occur when there is a king. According to the article, there are four key events within the tradition: Bemanti, Little Incwala, Lusekwane, and Big Incwala.

Since the ritual depends on the king, I clicked on a link about the king of Eswatini. This took me to the wikipedia page, Ngwenyama, which is the title of the male ruler, or king. This means lion in an honorific sense in Swati. This page also listed the current king, which is Mswati III.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer