Learning Challenge: Mental Illness

Over the past few years, I realized that I get depressed during certain times in the year. I just feel off. I don't want to do things, and I want to be left alone. I just don't feel like myself. Thankfully, it doesn't last very long. Maybe a month at its worst. I have friends that struggle with anxiety and depression constantly, so I am grateful that I my depression is more cyclical and almost predictable. It is difficult to get out of that downward spiral Some people ask me about the tactics I use to get myself out of the depressive spiral, but I can never put my finger on an exact moment or decision. I related to a lot of the things in "Cooper Lund on the weight of depression, ending mental illness stigma."



I don't experience a lot of anxiety, but I was curious to learn more about it. I watched "OU Student on Mental Health: Ivey Dyson talking about Anxiety." Ivey Dyson described anxiety as "drowning sometimes." She also talked about the voices in her head that go over the things that might go wrong. It seems like it would be very difficult to ignore those voices. I often go through possible excuses in my mind if I don't want to go to something. I can't imagine those voices running through my head every day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer