Feedback Thoughts: Spread Kindness to Yourself and Others

Sometimes I self-criticize when I put too many things on my list and am unable to complete all of them. I have to remember that I did accomplish some things. I could sprinkle that self praise throughout the day or study session so it is easier for me to appreciate myself after I complete a task. I like how the reality-based self-congratulation is based on past, tangible things. Sometimes, I tend to avoid self-criticizing by telling myself that I will accomplish everything the next day, creating an idealized future self that is almost impossible to achieve. I want to use this technique on other aspects of my life, including personal goals. For example, I have been wanting to find a nonprofit to volunteer with, but keep getting sidetracked by other things. I just looked up some nonprofits in Norman and made a list of the ones I want to look into further. Now I can say to myself, "I'm doing it!"

"Make Good Art: Neil Gaiman’s Advice on the Creative Life, Adapted by Design Legend Chip Kidd" by Maria Popova
I like this idea that growth happens out of mistakes. I want the effect of my mistakes to be positive. The context of school and work often discourage people from making mistakes, so I appreciate that this course encourages mistakes and improvement but not for the sake of grade. However, to uphold this positive environment, I think it is important that students remain cognizant of how feedback impacts students' mindset. I don't want to reaffirm any negative thoughts that someone might already have about themselves. 

Image information: 360-degree feedback by Jurgen Appelo; Source: Flickr.

Comments

  1. Hi Karissa!
    I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to these "to-do lists"! I am also guilty of putting way too many things on my list and taking on way too many responsibilities each day. At the end of the day, I feel horrible for not completing everything and feeling as though I have let myself down. I think it is a great tip and mindset to focus instead on what we did accomplish rather than what we didn't accomplish; in this case, it would allow us to celebrate the little victories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer