Feedback Strategies: Giving Feedback



Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback:
I really like the idea of feedforward. In the past, I have taken feedback personally, because it some sense it is personal. The person is providing feedback about something I did, a reflection of me. I am trying to figure out how feedforward can be implemented into this course. Maybe it can be used to make more general comments about a piece of work. For example, if I read someone's blog and notice that something general is missing, then I would provide feedforward about how to implement those aspects into a future story.

How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk:
People often consider me as blunt. Sometimes I can come across as harsh when I don't mean it to be. I will use these 4 tips to lighten the blow, without using the insincere compliment sandwich. The first tip is to provide an explanation about why you are giving the feedback, which gives context and allows you to restate your confidence in their abilities. I especially like the next tip that shows how you can level the playing field so the feedback comes across as less intimidating. The third tip states that you should ask the person if they want feedback, giving them more control over the situation. The last tip is to be transparent with how you are going to give the feedback; this allows each person - the giver and receiver - to explain their expectations for the meeting.

I usually like receiving positive feedback more than negative. Who doesn't, right? The other person is validating you and praising your work, which is a good feeling for both parties. However, this is not helpful in all cases. In order to grow, we have to place ourselves into uncomfortable positions - both as feedback receiver and giver.

Image information: Image from Cheezburger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer