Topic Brainstorm

Africa Storybook
  • I noticed a general theme between units of stories about animals, so it would be fun to travel throughout Africa as my storybook, using stories about animals - maybe they travel with the reader. However, I looked at the Africa unit and found that the Nigeria and Congo units had stories about human adventures that I would be interested in reading. My mother is from Zimbabwe, and I have visited a couple countries in Africa, so I think it would be fun to take a literary trip through Africa as well. 
Native American Storybook
  • When I was younger, my school would host a day, in which people from the community would come to share Native American culture and history with elementary and middle school kids. I always loved when storytellers would come to share a Native American legend. I specifically remember being enchanted when a man with a deep, rich voice told us an origin story. I think I could do a storybook based off of this feeling. Maybe, the readers will follow a little girl or boy as he/she explores Native American mythology. I like creation stories, so I will probably use a creation story to start the storybook off, and then move into stories about animals (trickster coyote?) or humans. The Cherokee creation stories sound interesting, and I want to read more of the Hero Tales.
Middle Eastern Storybook: 
  • One of my friends is Turkish, so I decided to look at the Middle Eastern unit. I would be interested in creating a storybook over a topic that I haven't explored before; everything will be new. I also thought that I could connect Africa and the Middle East through Egypt, but I'm not quite sure how I would do that beyond traveling from Africa to the Middle East. I could use a narrator or traveler to bring the reader to new places, starting in Africa probably. 
Greek/Roman Storybook:
  • When I was a freshman at OU, I took Gods and Heroes in Art. It has been one of my favorite classes. I enjoyed reading how ridiculous the gods and heroes were, especially the tales of vengeance and jealousy. I just went through the Classical unit, and the Metamorphoses (5-7) caught my attention, because it has stories that I have not hear of before and focuses on women characters. I could follow their stories, possibly focusing on one of the women like Medea. Another idea I have is explore the similarities and differences of Roman and Greek mythology. The Roman and Greek gods were mixed and adapted after the Romans conquered the Greeks. 
Here is a photograph of my favorite art piece from Gods and Heroes in Art. It depicts Daphne turning into a laurel tree to avoid the love of Apollo. 

Image information: Photograph of Bernini's Apollo and Daphne sculpture by Alvesgaspare. Source: WikimediaCommons.

Comments

  1. Hey Karissa!

    All of these storybook ideas sound great! I especially love the Native American idea - their culture is rich with myths/folklore than many people have never heard of before, so I think it'd be a good idea to roll with that. I've had experience with some Native American culture here at OU through my Kiowa language class and an online Intro to Native American stories class. Creation stories are always a good way to go, especially for a child who will be learning about the stories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer