Reading Notes: The Hare that Was not Afraid to Die

Beauty and the Basilisk 
This fairy tale had an abrupt transition from Mary nursing the Basilisk to it asking her to cut off its head (twice). As a writer, I want to make those plot twists make a little more sense, maybe giving more reasons as to why, without taking away from the surprise. It is a hard balance to find.

"Red as a ripe mountain cherry" - I just like the alliteration with red and ripe.
The Hare that Was not Afraid to Die
I like the repetitive structure of this story. How each small story within the bigger story is ended with the same phrase. It brings the reader back to the overarching story after being diverted.

I also enjoyed how the actions of the animals were used to expose their personality traits. I think this technique sometimes has more of an affect than an author outright telling the readers what the characters were like.

"pores of the hair" - I like the imagery of this. It is not common to think of the pores of the hair or skin, but it definitely takes your mind to a specific place.

"Then, offering his body as a free gift, he sprang up, and like a royal swan, lighting on a bed of lotus in an ecstasy of joy, he fell on the heap of live coals." - Sometimes I am afraid of adding to many descriptive words because I think it can be distracting. I like this descriptive sentence; it provides words to help with the imagery, but it isn't overwhelming. I didn't have to read it twice, I still got the meaning with the added bonus of visualization.


Image information: Rabbit in the Moon. Source: Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer