Oh the Favorite Places You'll Go: Mozambique

When my parents read me the Dr. Seuss book, "Oh, the Places You'll Go," I could never quite imagine how beautiful and diverse the world would be. My mom's family lives in Zimbabwe and South Africa, so we have visited them twice over summer vacations.

My favorite place to visit has always been Mozambique, because of its picturesque beaches. I would often take a jog on the beach in the morning, and my mantra when I was nearing home would be, "just around the next bend."
(Peeking Sun photographed by Jason & Molly Kehrer. Source: Flickr)

One of the interesting things about the place (I was too young to remember the name of the region) we visited was the beached boats. I have always wondered why they are there. Some boats are still in use by fisherman and become beached with the low tide. Others are permanently beached, creating a sad but beautiful foreground to the breaking waves. 
(photograph by Luis Alvaro. Source: Pexels)


Comments

  1. Oh, that is so cool, Karissa! How exciting that you have the perfect excuse to visit places in Africa! I worked on African and African American folktales all this past summer, and I kept looking at pictures about these places in Africa, but that is not at all the same as going there. I hope that someday I will get the chance to do that! Are you interested in doing a South African project for this class! It is a place of many intersecting story traditions. Here are the online books I have bookmarked: South Africa at the Freebookapalooza. There's a South Africa reading unit
    based on the Honey collection in the UnTextbook... and of course you will find many stories about fishermen in the UnTextbook stories: every fisherman and his boat has stories to tell. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer