Growth Mindset: I'm up to the Challenge

This is the first time I have learned about the Growth Mindset. I have listened to another TED Talk about grit, which focused on how perseverance leads to success over qualities like intelligence. I think it is a similar concept. I hope in most things I lean towards the Growth Mindset, but I tend to reward myself through grades. Last semester, I had a difficult class and professor; I often complained about how the professor didn't express her expectations clearly and didn't create an environment conducive to learning. Although I frequently complained about the class's lot in life, I became stubborn and refused to get a B in the class. I realize that getting a good grade is not necessarily the goal of someone with a Growth Mindset - I was rewarding myself with the final grade, rather than my process to obtain it. However, I think my stubbornness is part of the Growth Mindset, and it definitely lead to success in the class.

I read Paunesku's article, and I would agree with him that educators and education systems will have to be careful not to make Growth Mindset another category to evaluate deficiency, especially since it is not a fixed characteristic. It is not the goal of the Growth Mindset to label certain people/kids as in the Growth or Fixed Mindset but to encourage "not yet" thinking, creating an environment in which students will flourish by using a Growth Mindset approach.

This year all of my classes are reading and writing based, which is out of my comfort zone. This semester will be a challenge for me to keep up with all my readings and not procrastinate over writing assignments, but I'm up to the challenge.



Image information: Image from Cheezburger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Future Health Professional

Week 10 Story: The Jewelry Soothsayer